Heating Safety Tips
HEATING SAFETY TIPS FROM SERVPRO® of Charles County and SERVPRO® of Oxon Hill
Keep anything flammable at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove or a portable space heater. Have a three foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
Test smoke alarms monthly.
Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
If your property does suffer fire damage, contact SERVPRO® of Charles County, 301.753.8313 or SERVPRO® of Oxon Hill, 301.292.4447 today!