CARPET CLEANING TIPS
CARPET CLEANING TIPS
MARCH 29, 2012
BY JEFF HIERS
Maintaining and keeping a clean carpet is more than just healthy, as it can also help to prolong the life of the carpet — which can amount to substantial financial savings. Around 80% of the soils that enter a building or residence are dry. The remaining 20% are greases, oils, and starches. The dry soil types are easily removed by vacuuming. And, the more often they are removed, the less damage to the carpets. But, vacuuming alone isn’t enough. These carpet cleaning tips will help to identify the most important steps you can take in caring for your carpets.
4 CARPET CLEANING TIPS
CARPET CLEANING TIP 1
Carpets should be thoroughly vacuumed at least once per week. In most commercial buildings, the traffic areas are vacuumed at each service with a detailed vacuum during one of those service days. High quality vacuums are the best choice and using one with a HEPA filter is especially good for improving the air quality in your home or office.
CARPET CLEANING TIP 2
The 2nd of our carpet cleaning tips is to keep your eye out for spills and take care of them quickly. For most liquids, you can fold a cloth or stack of paper towels, place over the spill, then step on the towel using your body weight to help adsorb the liquid. If this doesn’t remove the spill, pour a small amount of water on the area then follow the same process. In most instances, this will remove the majority of the residue from the spill. There are also numerous products that can be used to spot treat carpets. By taking immediate action you can prevent spills from becoming stains that leave you with a dirty and messy carpet.
CARPET CLEANING TIP 3
Make sure that you have the carpets cleaned as often as it is needed. Based on the type of carpet and the facility, either a dry-chemical or extraction method will be used. Normally, a thorough carpet cleaning is needed every 6-12 months depending on traffic patterns.
CARPET CLEANING TIP 4
The easiest of our carpet cleaning tips is the proper use of walk-off mats since this will help to keep most of the tracked soils off the surface of the carpet. You should use walk-off mats at all entrance doors — and place them both inside and outside if possible. At home, you can also take off your shoes prior to entering your home or have a special set of shelves by the door to store shoes.
BENEFITS OF KEEPING CARPETS CLEAN
Using these carpet cleaning tips to keep carpets clean will add value to the building or residence. It will also help to keep the facility free from odors and pathogens. And finally, it will help to make a comfortable environment for guests, occupants, and/or employees.