Water damage in your home or business is a tragic event. The causes of water damage vary from a pipe bursting, leaking appliances, sewer backups, and or an extreme storm. In these events many people have no clue what first steps to take in order to deal with this flowing problem. Some of the immediate steps to take after water damage in your home and business include:
- Turn off the power! If the water level reaches any electric sockets in the area, it creates a bigger hazard zone.
- Call your insurance company. Contact an adjuster to assess the damage and determine if it is a covered loss.
- Start water damage repair immediately. Mold can build up under wet surfaces within 24 hours.
- Once all standing water is removed from your home or business, the area must be dried out removing all humidity. Air movers and dehumidifiers can help dry damp areas.
- Determine what needs to be fully restored after water damage. Flooring and walls are typical a major concern in the restoration process.
We at SERVPRO® of Charles County and SERVPRO® of Oxon Hill are here to safely ensure the water damage removal process is done thoroughly and correctly. Give us a call at (301) 753-8313.